Trying to lose weight? Well, so are most of the people in the world. They are struggling, either because they are self-conscious of the extra weight, sitting not so pretty on their bodies, or because they are struggling with the impact of weight gain, really that is a chronic disease. But it is a struggle in the real sense of the word! Losing weight, that is, as most of the things we do, we bundle up in our diet or the kind of exercise we do.
Ess it up big time is because we love food too much and the thought of depriving ourselves of sumptuous food is pure agony! So how do we strike that balance and which is the best diet plan for us which proves to be sustainable as well? We also have to know this for a fact that, food is not the enemy here, over-eating is. Use of too much of oil, sugar, can just about strip off the nutrients from all the vegetables. If you want to lose weight and opt for diet plan for weight loss, we must keep in mind the following points.
Top Popular Diets to Follow
Tweaking around your diet plan is all that you have to do, follow an eighty-twenty rule, is eighty percent of the time you must stick to your diet and for the rest of the time, you can indulge in your favorite foods. Check out the diet plans which are popular now, and there are nutritionists who swear by the efficacy of these diets! What are these full-proof diets and what makes these diets tick?
The GM Diet Plan– the GM diet also known as the “cabbage soup diet” has been there from the year 1985, first conceptualized by General Motors, aided by the Food and Drug Administration with the able support of United States Department of Agriculture for its employees. Chiefly designed to increase the work output of their employees. It worked then, and people lost 10-17 pounds.
The success of the GM Diet plan lies in the fact that you can lose whopping 5-7 kgs in seven days. The diet plan for weight loss is tailored in such a way, that you have to eat mostly fruits and vegetables for seven days straight. Each day has specific food restrictions, and by the time you reach the seventh day, you already would have shed 5-7 kgs! There are several advantages and disadvantages to the diet plan.
The benefits of following this diet plan are-
- There is massive weight reduction within a very short period, about 5-7 kgs in a week.
- As you mostly eat vegetables and fruits, the increased fiber intake helps you to get rid of all the accumulated toxins.
- You feel increased efficiency, confidence, and higher energy.
The disadvantages of following the GM Diet plan are-
- You sometimes gain back all the weight; you took great pains to lose.
- Since it is a restrictive diet you might, lose out on a lot of valuable nutrients.
- You might feel weak as during the seven days of the plan; the muscle tissues are deprived of adequate amounts of proteins which lead to muscle weakness, muscle loss, dull skin, and hair loss.
- It is a restrictive diet plan, hence not sustainable.
The Ketogenic Diet Plan
The primary goal of a ketogenic diet plan is to bring out a sea change in the metabolic make-up of your body. This is brought about by bringing changes in the primary cellular fuel source shifting gears from carbohydrate-based fuels (glucose) to fat fuels and fat metabolism products known as ketones. This processor change is brought about via a metabolic process called ketogenesis, and the state of the body state called ketosis.
To shed more light on ketosis, it is simply a normal metabolic medium through which the cells of the body utilize ketones to create energy, instead of depending upon sugar or carbohydrate. Human beings have been quite used to these diet plans, especially during the times when there was non-availability of food.
Why has the ketogenic plan for weight loss become so popular? Ketone bodies have are particularly beneficial for the human body, and maintain the ketone levels of the body are one way of treating diseases like cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, autism, Alzheimer’s and so on, as it improves the mitochondrial health and cellular energy pathways. The ketogenic diet plan is about consuming 70-75% of calories from fat, 20-25% from protein, and 5-10% from carbohydrate on a daily basis when calories are not restricted. There are both advantages and disadvantages of following a ketogenic diet.
The advantages of ketogenic diet plan-
- You will be able to drop the pounds, fast as that.
- You will be able to reduce the sugar cravings.
- You will be able to prevent chronic diseases and also cope with chronic diseases, like diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer.
- You will be able to reduce belly fat.
The disadvantages of ketogenic diet plan are –
- You will experience fatigue and dizziness.
- You will experience sudden drops in blood sugar levels.
- You will suffer from constipation.
- You might suffer from kidney stones.
- You might also suffer from sleep disturbances.
- You might suffer from hair loss and skin problems if you follow it for a long time which is not advisable.
The Atkins Diet
The Atkins diet was original thought of by a physician named by the name of Robert C Atkins. He propagated the germ of the diet plan which caught the fancy of people all over the world.
At the initial phase, diet captured the minds of weight watchers across the world, but after that, it was abhorred and considered unhealthy and came in for a lot of flak from many health authorities, as it was high in high saturated fat content. It is only in recent times that saturated fat has been hailed as very good for health.
The diet has been evaluated thoroughly since then and has shown to lead to significant weight loss and proven to be more effective for weight loss than low-fat diets and resulted in marked improvements in blood sugar, HDL (the “good” cholesterol), triglycerides and other health markers.
It is high in fat; it still does not raise LDL (the “bad”) cholesterol on average. Eating more protein and fewer carbs mean people stay satiated for longer hours, and also end up consuming fewer calories.
The Advantages of Following an Atkins Diet is
The benefits of following the above weight loss diet plan are as follows.
- You will get quick
- The diet helps increasing good cholesterol and improves triglycerides. It also helps the sugar level in control, for diabetics and pre-diabetics.
- It increases mental awareness.
- You will experience fewer hunger pangs and hence are less likely to binge eat.
The disadvantages of following the Atkins Diet are as follows.
- You have to keep a track on the carbohydrates you eat.
- You might get nutritionally deficient because of the restrictive diet.
- You might regain all the weight you had lost.
- An extreme high protein diet can be detrimental to your health.
All the above diets cannot be followed for a long time as it can affect your health, in the long run. To lead a healthy life, you must ensure that you eat a healthy and balanced diet and also exercise. This won’t fetch you super quick results but what it will do is keep you on the healthy track for years together.