Creating an error-free and easy to understand content is daunting of a task. Additionally, the typos and grammatical mistakes can create quite an embarrassment for anyone involved in professional writing or even for a student submitting his/her school essays and assignments.
Besides, finding a reliable and cost-effective human proofreader can be a cumbersome process.
Hence, this is where the Grammarly assistant comes into the picture. Here in this Grammarly review, I will be sharing my thoughts on whether buying the premium version is worth your money or not. So let’s get started!
SO WHAT IS GRAMMARLY?
Grammarly is a free grammar checking software with an additional paid-for premium subscription plan. Grammarly analyses your document and assists you in correcting all the grammatical errors, punctuation mistakes, spelling mistakes, plagiarism, and much more which might have occurred in your piece of writing.
So lately if you have been on the quest for an online grammar checking tool, then Grammarly’s free grammar checking assistant is worth giving a try. Additionally, I will also explain what extra features you get if you go ahead and subscribe to the Grammarly premium version.
Hence, in this article, I am going to explain to you everything about the checking assistant. You will understand how to download, install and the process of getting started with the free version of Grammarly. Later, I compare and explain all the available features both in the free and paid versions.
Also sharing my thoughts on whether buying the premium version is worth the money or not. So let’s get started!
ABOUT GRAMMARLY AND HOW IT WORKS
So before we dive in much deeper, let’s take a quick recap on what Grammarly is and how it works.
As I told you earlier, Grammarly is an online grammar checking tool launched in 2009 that detects your bad writing styles, critical grammar mistakes, spelling and punctuation errors, and much more. It even analyzes the overall tonality of your document and suggests you to edit your text according to your needs.
Currently, the Grammarly assistant can be used in any of the following ways:
- MS Office Plugin: Grammarly can be used in conjunction with the MS Office products like MS Word, MS Outlook, and more. Grammarly provides an easy to use a plugin for most of the office products so that both the creation and correction processes can go hand in hand.
- Grammarly’s Native App for Windows and Mac: Grammarly can be used as an application in both the Windows and Mac operating systems. You just need to drag and drop your document into the application to edit. Simple ain’t it!
- Grammarly Keyboard For iOS and Android Devices: The Grammarly keyboard can be downloaded on both the Android and iOS devices. It works with all the apps in real time and gives you auto-corrected words, suggestions, and more.
- Grammarly’s Browser Extension: Grammarly’s assistant can be used as an extension on all the major browsers like Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and a lot more. This allows you to edit your online documents easily and on the go.
Also Read: TOP INTERNET BROWSERS OF 2019
HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND GET STARTED WITH GRAMMARLY FOR FREE?
Before we dive deep into the comparison of free and paid versions of Grammarly, let us quickly know how to install and get started with Grammarly for free.
Click here to go to Grammarly’s official website. After clicking the link, you will land on this page.
Now click on the ‘Add to Chrome’ button. This will take you to the Chrome Web Store in a new tab. Now click on the ‘Add to Chrome’ button once again, and finally, click on ‘Add Extension’ button that opens up in the pop-up window.
After this is done, the Grammarly extension will be added to your web browser. Also, note that if you are using any other browser, you will still be able to add the same to your browser as well.
After this step is done, Grammarly prompts you to sign up. Once signed up, you will be able to use it for free on your web browser.
Further, if you want to edit your offline documents, open up Grammarly.com and go to your dashboard. Then copy and paste your offline text into the add new document option to edit it. Hence, in this way you can edit your offline documents easily.
WHO IS GRAMMARLY BENEFICIAL FOR?
The Grammarly assistant comes in handy for both native English speakers as well as for the people speaking English as their second language.
The tool is of great use for the people working as:
- Professional Copywriters
- Content writers and marketers
- Social media content creators
No matter how good you are in this language, you are always prone to make some mistakes. Hence, for any writer, Grammarly’s grammar checking tool acts as a second line of defense.
HOW DOES IT HELP IN IMPROVING YOUR WRITING?
Grammarly’s grammar checking tool helps you in avoiding several types of mistakes and errors. Here are some of the things it helps you to improve:
- Spelling Errors – With the help of Grammarly’s software, be assured of zero spelling mistakes in your next document.
- Grammar and punctuation mistakes – Grammarly helps you in avoiding grammatical and punctuation errors ranging from essential to advanced ones. It also provides guidelines on how to correct your sentences.
- Grammarly Plagiarism Checker – Grammarly compares your document with billions of pages on the web to detect plagiarism. Hence, you can always be sure that your work is original and plagiarism free.
- Writing Approach – Grammarly helps you in editing your document according to the type of audience you are writing for.
- Human Proofreader – If you are not satisfied with Grammarly’s insights and need some extra confidence, you can go ahead and hire a human proofreader to get advice on your document.
These were some of the dozen other features that Grammarly has to offer. Furthermore, if you buy the premium version, you will get a robust grammar checking software that will help you in the best way possible.
HOW ACCURATE AND USEFUL IS GRAMMARLY?
For most of the times, Grammarly’s assistant helps you in creating a much better and cleaner draft. However, sometimes it does fail in finding errors and even generates wrong and inefficient suggestions. Albeit, this has happened like one in hundred times. Hence, I can say that Grammarly has an accuracy of somewhere between 90-95 percent.
Now coming to the usefulness of the Grammarly software, I can say that it is advantageous and does help you in creating clear and legible documents.
Also Read: BEST CONTENT MARKETING IDEAS FOR YOU
HOW MUCH DOES GRAMMARLY PREMIUM COST?
Please note that Grammarly has not set any particular period for using the free version of its tool. While the free tool assists you in correcting the most basic mistakes, the premium version lets you do more. The premium version is a must for those involved in professional writing.
If you are satisfied with the free version of Grammarly, you can go ahead and purchase the premium version. You can do so by subscribing to any of the below-listed plans –
- Grammarly’s Monthly Plan – As per this plan, you will be charged a total of $29.95 per month for the premium version.
- Grammarly’s Quarterly Plan – According to this plan, Grammarly’s premium version costs you around $19.98 per month, and you will be billed for a one-time payment of $59.95 per quarter.
- Grammarly’s Annual Plan – The annual plan costs $11.66 per month, and you will be charged a one-time payment of $139.95 for one year.
Of all these plans, I think that the annual plan gives the best return on your investment. However, if you don’t need it for such a long time, then buying the monthly plan is your only choice.
GRAMMARLY FREE VS PREMIUM VS BUSINESS
Grammarly’s free version is suitable for most of your casual writing. It has most of the features to help you in creating error-free documents. Hence it is ideal for drafting your daily emails, occasional content, and more. It is also useful for bloggers and writers working with a minimal budget.
Now coming on to the Grammarly Premium, the paid version comes with some extra features like an advanced grammar checker, a sophisticated plagiarism detector, writing style analyzer and corrector, vocabulary enhancer, and much more. It provides detailed information about your writing style and also guides you on how to improve it. To sum it up, the premium version detects and fixes more mistakes when compared to the free version.
Grammarly’s Business plan is the newest addition to their paid plans. In addition to all the features listed in the premium version, the business plan users get the following extra features –
- Monitoring tools
- Centralized billing
- Simple onboarding
- 24/7 support
- 400+ checks and features
Hence, the Grammarly Business version is a viable plan if you have a team that requires an online grammar assistant. The business option costs $15 per member per month and helps you to manage your team with the help of additional monitoring tools.
SHOULD YOU SUBSCRIBE TO GRAMMARLY PREMIUM?
If you have read this far then, you must have already come to a decision by now, and you might be more than willing to buy the software.
However, I suggest doing this only if you are someone involved in professional writing. Moreover, for most of the time, the free version of Grammarly is more than enough for your day-to-day casual writing and will cover most of your errors.
Further, I feel that even if you are a non-native English speaker, the free version of Grammarly will catch most of the critical errors and will help you in improving your writing skills.
At the end of the day, it’s your writing skills that will help you in getting the job done. The tools like Grammarly are only going to polish and embellish your writing skills.
While it’s good to have a personal assistant, one should try to improve his/her writing skills by themselves, without having to rely on such services. It would be best if you only use such tools as your last line of defense.
As far as Grammarly’s product is concerned, I would say that it is indeed the best tool available online. Grammarly’s assistant helps you in detecting and correcting most of the overlooked mistakes.
Hence, it is definitely worth trying the free Grammarly tool. Additionally, you can go ahead and buy the premium version if you find it useful in your daily work.
- Is Grammarly worth it?
Yes, Grammarly is worth every dollar you spend if you are a blogger, professional writer, etc. It helps you to save your time.
- Can I use Grammarly offline?
No, because Grammarly is an online tool and having an internet connection is a must.
- How is Grammarly’s cancellation and refund policy?
Grammarly offers a 10-day money back guarantee if you do not like the product and would like to cancel it.
- How to get Grammarly Premium for free?
No, you cannot get the premium version for free.
- Is Grammarly reliable?
Yes, Grammarly is definitely reliable, but make sure that you do not blindly follow its suggestions.
- Can I use Grammarly in my smartphone?
Yes, you can download the Grammarly Keyboard app on both the iOS and Android devices.
- Can I use Grammarly on a Mac?
Yes, you can use the Grammarly assistant on your Mac operating system. You can download a native app, use a browser plugin, or else use it in conjunction with MS Word.
- Does Grammarly have plagiarism checker?
Yes, it does have and works by comparing your piece of writing with billions of pages on the web.
- Can I use Grammarly in MS Word?
Yes. You can download the Grammarly assistant for the MS Word application.
- Is Grammarly safe to use?
Using Grammarly is like sending private emails over the internet. Hence, Grammarly can’t guarantee 100% security.
- Is there any free alternative to Grammarly?
Yes, there are many alternatives to Grammarly like, to name a few, Ginger, WhiteSmoke, JetPack, and more.
- Does Grammarly store or use my content?
No, Grammarly doesn’t share or store your content and other private data.