Almost every business has an online presence. While it has many advantages, it also means that companies need to compete to grab the attention of their clients. It is where digital marketing comes in. Digital marketing opens up new avenues for a business. Moreover, it exposes the brand to its relevant niche in cost-effective ways. The success rate of a marketing campaign is measurable in terms of traffic, conversion rate, which is easy to track with digital marketing. Companies also have the opportunity to maintain a loyal customer base.
In addition to this, it provides insights into customer behaviors and trends that are not apparent with traditional marketing. Businesses can leverage these insights to improve their services and market their product in ways that make it more relatable to customers.
Hence, businesses need to be abreast of the digital marketing tools that are in use. Most importantly, they should know how to use these tools to keep up with trends in digital marketing.
Digital marketing trends and practices
As the year wraps up, businesses can learn from the digital marketing trends of 2020. Here are some successful digital marketing practices that helped businesses improve their standing:
Content has always been an essential part of digital marketing. If a business wants traction, focus on well-written content. Hence, companies need to invest in composing content that provides value to their readers instead of stuffing keywords in an article
One point to note is that, for a younger audience, visual content is more relatable. More people are watching a video than ever before. With social media platforms, such as Tik-Tok and Instagram, on the rise, businesses can benefit from producing visual content for their audience.
- The demand for video is increasing as 54% of online users want to see more video content from a brand. [Oberlo]
- 87% of marketers use video as a marketing tool. [Oberlo]
- 85% of businesses use video as a marketing tool in 2020. [Hubspot]
- 88% of marketers believe that video content gives them a positive ROI. [Hubspot]
However, it doesn’t mean that written content is going away. These stats will improve your resolve for incorporating a content marketing strategy for your business:
- 62% of B2B marketers have a concrete content marketing strategy in place. [Smart Insight]
- 76% of digital marketers use organic traffic to measure the success of their content. [Smart Insight]
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is an organic method for businesses to improve their ranking on SERPs and increase engagement with the consumer. For a successful SEO campaign, brands need to understand the “user intent.” Each search query has an intent behind it. A website owner must know why a user has made a particular search and provide a website landing page that answers the query.
In addition to this, websites need to improve SEO by using Meta Tags (Meta Title and Meta Description), using Alt text for images, optimizing page speed, using internal links, incorporating backlinks through guest posting, etc. Since most consumers use mobile phones for searches, a mobile-friendly web design is essential. Businesses can also leverage local SEO and Google My Business listings to increase their presence. These are good SEO practices and can help improve the user experience manifold.
- 61% of marketers think that SEO is essential. [Safari Digital]
- 34% of businesses spend more than $1000 for link building. [Safari Digital]
- 78% of the searches are based on location. [Safari Digital]
Businesses are focusing on personalized emails to provide value to each of their customers. Not only does email work as an advertising tool, but it also functions as a medium for feedback. Emails are an essential tool for communicating with your customers for product announcements and sale offers.
- 87% of marketers use emails to provide content to consumers. [Oberlo]
- 78% of marketers have noticed an increase in engagement due to emails. [Hubspot]
Voice Search Engine Optimization (VSEO)
Recent trends show that voice-based search queries are increasing. Voice assistants, such as Siri, Alexa, Cortana, and Google Assistant are quite common. People prefer voice search because it is convenient and faster. As the voice recognition algorithm improves, in the near future, brands will heavily invest in VSEO methods to improve their search rankings. For this, websites need to target long-tail keywords. Here are a few stats:
- 60% of mobile users have used voice search in the last year. [Quora Creative]
- 43% of people use voice search because it is quicker. [SEM Rusk]
Many experts believe that voice commands to make search queries will rise exponentially.
- According to estimates, by 2022, voice-based shopping will increase to $40 billion. [Quora Creative]
With these insights, businesses can improve their digital marketing strategy and provide value to their customers.