Projects are of paramount importance to enterprises. Many enterprises thrive by completing outsourced projects of many kinds. It is how they derive profits and pay their employees. Therefore, when corporates undertake a project, the utmost care has to be taken to allocate resources to the project and complete it flawlessly optimally. Resources are people, equipment, place, money, or anything else that you need in order to do the project.
Steps involved in planning resources for your project
Planning the resources properly for your project involves the following steps:
- Estimating the number of resources required: You have to accurately calculate how many people are required to do the project, how much cost you will incur doing the project, how much space you will need to do the project, the quantity and types of equipment you will need to do the project, etc. In order to do all these accurately, you can seek the advice of experts, use project management software, or use bottom-up estimation methods.
- Estimating activity durations: Apart from assessing the resources required to do the project, you must also determine how much time each activity will take to complete so that you do not run behind the project’s schedule. Estimating the time taken to complete each activity can be done by seeking the advice of experts in the field.
- Creating a schedule for the project: The project’s schedule has to clearly state when each task has to be completed. You also have to ensure that the resources will be available, as mentioned in the schedule. Once a fail-proof project schedule has been created, monitoring the project’s progress becomes effortless.
- Resource management: The enterprise’s resources have to be managed efficiently. The deployment of an organization’s resources should be made as per emerging requirements. The project’s planning should not be rigid. Several notable books can help you manage your project’s resources effectively. One of them is: Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK).
- Resource leveling and workload management: The workload in a project has to be distributed among the company’s resources as evenly as possible. In case of non-availability of certain resources, a backup plan has to be put into action. Allocation and management of resources have to be done dynamically as per emerging demands.
The top 10 Best Project Management Software: Here is a list of the top 10 software used by companies to plan resources for their project:
- Jira: This software helps teams to plan, track, and allocate resources to their project. This software can also generate performance reports which can be used to improve the performance of a team.
- ProWorkFlow: This is a web-based project management software that enables users to manage project tasks, organize contacts, and generate reports for their business.
- Office Timeline: This is not a separate software but a part of Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 onwards. This feature of PowerPoint helps create schedules for projects and Gantt charts.
- Easy Projects: This software helps you track your team’s work, follow the project’s progress and keep track of the project’s budget. This software warns if you are overspending on each task/module so that you don’t overshoot the budget.
- Zoho Projects App: This software helps create project schedules, keep track of the team’s and client’s work, keep track of the project’s progress and generate various charts and reports.
- Ace Projects: Individuals, teams, and corporates can use this software as a whole. It provides 360 degrees of project management solutions. Apart from the regular features, this software enables you to keep track of your project’s schedule and keep track of your project’s budget. It warns you if you are overspending on any module of the project so that you don’t overshoot the project’s budget.
- Procore: This software helps you create and manage project schedules, close RFIs with ease and speed, track project emails quickly, keep track of changes in client’s requirements, keep track of employees’ daily logs, etc.
- Buildertrend: This software is built explicitly for realtors, contractors & remodelers. This software provides all the features builders will need to complete a project (apartment or individual villas).
- Teamwork CRM: This software is specifically meant for people in the sales line. It helps them create sales targets, budgets, and schemes for a month. It also helps them optimize their sales processes so that operating costs can be minimized and profits can be maximized. Keeping track of leads can be done at the click of a button using this software rather than creating and following lengthy email threads.
- Liquid Planner: Apart from the commonly available features, the unique feature of this software is that it automatically alters the estimated project completion date if the project’s resources increase or decrease at any point of time while doing the project.
Also Read: How to Increase Productivity at Work
If the principles mentioned above are applied in planning resources for a project, it will definitely become a success. As Stephen Covey once said, only principle-centered people are successful in life. They minimize the risk of failure and give greater success (in all aspects).