The market of digital advertising has been growing at a significant pace. In 2019, the market was hovering around the size of US$335 billion. Estimates predict that within the next three years, that is by 2024, the market will attain a size of $645.8 billion. What is also growing at a similar pace, commanding a much bigger volume of trade, is the domain of eCommerce or online shopping. While in 2020, the retail eCommerce sales across the world were US$4.28 trillion, it is projected to grow to US$5.4 trillion by 2022.
Now, with these data points at our disposal, where do these two markets with a combined size of more than US$5 trillion converge? The precise answer is when online sellers publicize their goods by leveraging digital marketing tools. One of the forerunners among tools or platforms that help in digital marketing is Google Ads.
Google Ads: What it is and How it Works
When users search online for businesses like yours or businesses that belong to your industry category or service domain, Google Ads helps you gain visibility and priority in its search and maps options.
You can leverage Google Ads to drive website visits, get more calls for your business, and increase your online store visits. Driving a surge in your web traffic may imply growing your online sales, bookings, or mailing list subscriptions. Your online ads will more effectively and efficiently direct people to your website. If your ads feature the contact number of your online store, Google Ads will help you increase customer calls to that number with more clicks on your call button. Google Ads may also complement your web traffic by driving more customers to your physical store, if you have one, with its Google Map business ads.
There are several attractive aspects to Google Ads. When you use Google Ad services, you only need to pay for the results you get, like the clicks on your website or the calls to your business. These ads are device-agnostic and work efficiently on both desktops and mobiles. Irrespective of what your budget is, the services will work and stay well within your limits. If you set a monthly budget cap, the ad spending will never cross it, keeping you free from the worries of overshooting your budget.
How Google Ads Help Get the Desired Results
Google Ads breaks up the entire process of digital advertising into several parts. It starts with the purpose of the advertiser. As a digital marketer for your online storefront, you will have to decide on the results you most want from your ad. For instance, do you want to get more calls or increase traffic to your website? Once you have made up your mind, the next is to decide ways you want to do this. It gives you the liberty to compartmentalize your strategy in as many ways as you want. For instance, you can decide the geography where you would like your ads to be shown. You can choose any spot on the continuum between the terminals of the local and the global.
Messaging is very important for successfully showcasing your online store. In a broader sense, it means highlighting the best aspects of your business through the text you use. But, at the same time, you must be aware of the keywords that are pertinent to find your sort of business quickly. You need to know which keywords are in trend.
Third-party services, like PromoNavi, prove beneficial in this context. Using Promonavi’s Competitor Analysis tool, for instance, you can cherry-pick the best keywords and ideas for your ads. Its Keyword Planner and Campaign Builder help you locate many new keywords for your Google Ads campaigns. You can even filter them by vital metrics. As the effectiveness of your budget increases, PromoNavi helps you remove the negative keywords from your live campaign and replace them by adding new, effective keywords.
Once you think that your message has attained optimal efficacy standards, you can set your budget limit. Under any circumstances, you would not have to pay more than the monthly cap you set. If you are not satisfied with the budget utilization of your ad, you can choose to stop it anytime you wish and calibrate it.
With all these settings implemented from your end, you are ready to go live. You can now display your ads for potential consumers on services like Google Search and Maps and across the diversified network of its partner sites.
Types of Google Ad Campaigns Suitable for eCommerce
An important aspect to consider while strategizing your advertisements for your online store is the type of campaign you would like to implement. There are several types that Google Ads offers you. Each differs in its purpose, implementation, and outcome.
- Search Campaigns: These are campaigns that appear as text ads on search results. These are easy to set up and only require writing the text ads and picking the right keywords. These campaigns help you to specifically reach out to people actively searching for the products and services you have to offer. These campaigns help you boost your online sales and signups.
- Display Campaigns: These are campaigns that you must’ve come across as image ads on websites you have browsed. These campaigns are visually engaging and help you reach out to people who are not even actively searching for your type of products and services presently but might be interested in doing so in the near future. Apart from helping you win sales leads, raising the awareness and consideration around your brand, display ads help you follow up with remarketing ads to new customers and customers who have already used your services in the past.
- Video Campaigns: Video ads that present you on YouTube come under this category. These ads prove especially beneficial when you are trying to tell the story of your brand to drive general awareness in the market. However, you can also use these campaigns to drive conversions and get people to shop on your online storefront.
- Shopping Campaigns: Ads under this type of campaign appear as product listings on Google. Ideal for retailers selling their product inventory, the campaigns leverage visually engaging lists that effectively promote a retailer’s entire product line.
- App Campaigns: These are unique campaigns that help your mobile application find new users and increase sales within the app. An app campaign can drive a surge in your online store app installs and drive engagements and signups. A single app campaign can present your app on multiple channels, including Search, Display, Play, and YouTube.
- Smart Campaigns: These are a derived form of campaign that is probably the easiest to set up. All you need to do is enter your business and design a few advertisements. Google will do the rest for you by helping your ad find the best targeting route. This way, you make the most out of your time and money.
Real-Life Use Cases
The Honest Company
Founded by Jessica Alba, the objective of the Honest Company is to manufacture clean, sustainable, well-designed products targeted at today’s health and wellness consumers. It sells its products for babies and parents online via the website honest.com. At a certain point in time, the company was seeking avenues that would help it reach ready-to-buy moms and dads on a wider scale. It was also looking for ways to drive sign-ups for free trials and find leads at a reasonable price with a high potential for conversion.
To achieve its purpose, the company leveraged the in-market audiences targeting service on Google AdWords. In-market audiences let a brand reach people who are ready to buy across the more than 2 million sites in the Google Display Network, and who might be looking at prices, shopping for deals, or simply browsing the web.
The strategy worked, and the brand saw a 30% increase in conversions, a higher rate of purchases than keyword-contextual targeting, and new free trials and sign-ups running into thousands.
Founded in 1980, Saraf Furniture is an India-based online retailer of Sheesham wood furniture with more than 1,500 customers. The company wanted to expand and boost its brand awareness while driving more traffic, increasing leads and online sales. It leveraged Google Ads services by launching display ads and shopping campaigns along with text-based search ads. The ad-creatives it used were relevant to its time and contextual and showcased its wood quality as a factor differentiating Saraf from other players in a competitive furniture market.
The campaigns resulted in 10-times more leads, and a revenue surge of 2.5-times within a year. In Q2 2020, Saraf witnessed an 80-times growth in the ROI of its Google Ads.
There are countless other success stories of online stores benefiting from advertising with Google. You can always explore them in detail and optimize your campaign.