It’s the middle of the night, and you can’t sleep. You’ve been tossing and turning for hours and starting to feel slightly sick. So, you do what comes naturally to you in this situation: You Google what to do, and you find vomiting as a suggestion. But deep down, you know that vomiting is a sign of something going wrong with your body.
However, when you click on an article titled how to make myself throw up, you find a list of methods that range from drinking salt water to using a toothbrush. But which one is right for you? And more importantly, is it safe?
Table of Contents
- Why do people force themselves to throw up or vomit? Is it a good idea?
- Are there any consequences for self-induced vomiting? Safety and Risks which you should know.
- What are Some of the Most Effective Natural Ways to Make Yourself Throw Up? 11 Tips to Help You Throw up Instantly.
- 1. Using your finger: Stick Your Index Finger Down Your Throat
- 2. Use Your Tongue Cleaner
- 3. Drink Warm Salt Water
- 4. Eat a white egg
- 5. Watch videos of others vomiting
- 6. Drink mustard water to puke
- 7. Expose Yourself To Unpleasant Smell or Sights
- 8. Use a Toothbrush
- 9. Baking soda solution
- 10. Spin around
- 11. Think About Vomiting
- What Should You Do After Vomiting?
- What are the Pros and cons of making yourself throw up?
- Will Vomiting cause any health issues? All you need to Know
- What Do Doctors Think About Methods on How to Make Yourself Throw Up? According to the latest Internet Research and Online Reviews
- What Do People Think About The Methods on How to Make Yourself Throw Up? According to the latest Internet Research and Online Reviews.
- The Bottom Line
- Should you self-induce vomiting?
- What will happen if one vomits eight times a day?
- What are the side effects of forced vomiting?
- Does vomiting burn calories?
- Do salt and water make you vomit?
- Is yellow vomit bad?
- Can stress cause you to vomit?
- What are the signs of throwing up?
- How should you sleep after throwing up?
- How to make a dog vomit during an emergency?
- How to vomit to clean my stomach?
- If you have ever tried these methods to throw up, let us know your experience in the comment section below!!
Well, that’s what we’ll explore in this post, along with the different ways to make yourself throw up and answer some common questions about the process. We’ll also provide tips on making throwing up as safe and comfortable as possible.
Now, let’s dive in..
Why do people force themselves to throw up or vomit? Is it a good idea?
- To purge after overeating: Some people make themselves vomit because they feel disgusted or ashamed after overeating. They purge to get rid of the food they think is making them fat. This way, they can avoid growing fat and vomiting, giving them temporary physical and mental relief.
- To relieve indigestion or heartburn: People with conditions like bulimia nervosa frequently vomit to relieve their indigestion or heartburn.
- To “clean out” the stomach before an event: Some people, especially those with eating disorders, will force themselves to vomit before events like concerts or parties. They do this because they’re afraid of being seen eating and want to ensure their stomach is empty so they won’t have to eat during the event.
However, it is not a good idea to make yourself vomit. There are many potential dangers associated with making oneself vomit, including the risk of aspiration (inhaling vomit into the lungs), dehydration, and electrolyte imbalances. Additionally, there is no evidence that vomiting helps people lose weight or get rid of toxins; it may actually do the opposite.
For these reasons, it is generally not recommended to make yourself vomit. If you need to vomit, you should speak to a doctor or other healthcare professional for advice.
Are there any consequences for self-induced vomiting? Safety and Risks which you should know.
Yes, forcing yourself to throw up can cause quite a few hazards to your health. Let’s take a look at some of the safety concerns to understand the consequences:
1. Electrolyte deficiency
When we vomit, the potassium in our food or stomach also goes out. This can cause an electrolyte deficiency, a situation where the body doesn’t have enough certain minerals (like potassium) to function properly. Some symptoms of electrolyte deficiency include muscle weakness, cramps, and irregular heartbeat. This can happen to people who try self-induced vomiting or who rarely vomit. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, you must see a doctor immediately.
2. Changes to the appearance and texture of teeth (Tooth Weakening or Decay)
Yes, self-induced vomiting can indeed cause changes to the appearance and texture of your teeth, or simply, you can say tooth weakening. This is because gastric acid (from the stomach) entering the mouth can corrode tooth enamel, leading to a loss of shine and increased pitting on the surface of teeth. In addition, repeated exposure to gastric acid can also lead to a softened or eroded tooth structure, which may eventually lead to tooth loss.
For those who have their teeth already decayed, it can cause the teeth to fall off immediately. Most people make the mistake of brushing immediately after vomiting.
This only worsens tooth damage and sometimes can cause a few teeth to fall off. The best thing to do after vomiting is to rinse thoroughly with water, drink a glass of water and, if possible, some fruit juice, and wait at least a couple of hours if you decide to brush.
3. Nose bleeds and hemorrhage (red patches) in the eye
Nose bleeds and red patches in the eye, called subconjunctival hemorrhage, can be caused by vomiting. This is because when you vomit, you forcefully expel stomach acids and other contents through your esophagus and out your mouth.
This forceful vomiting can cause irritation and bleeding in your nose & throat and cause blood vessels in your eyes to burst. So if you regularly induce vomiting, it’s essential to be aware of the potential consequences, including nose bleeds and hemorrhage in the eye.
4. Developing esophagus cancer
The esophagus is a muscular tube that connects the mouth to our stomach. If you vomit, your strong stomach acids come in contact with the esophagus. With time, this may destroy the esophagus muscles and cause irreparable damage.
This is why self-induced vomiting will lead to an increased risk of developing esophagus cancer in the future. Therefore, it is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with vomiting and seek medical attention if you experience regular or severe episodes of vomiting.
5. Sore throat and hoarse voice
Sore throat and hoarse voice are common consequences of self-induced vomiting. When stomach acid repeatedly washes up into the esophagus, it can cause inflammation and damage to the delicate tissues lining the throat.
Over time, this can lead to soreness, pain, and even bleeding. In addition, chronic vomiting can lead to hoarseness as gastric acid irritates the vocal cords.
6. Gastrointestinal Complications
Vomiting frequently over a long time can cause complications in the gastrointestinal tract. If this persists, any food you eat will cause discomfort to your stomach. Beware that it can also cause rectal bleeding.
What are Some of the Most Effective Natural Ways to Make Yourself Throw Up? 11 Tips to Help You Throw up Instantly.
“How to make yourself throw up easily” is one of the common questions on the internet now. So here are 11 tips to help you throw up instantly:
- Using Your Fingers
- Use Your Tongue Cleaner
- Drinking Warm Saltwater
- Eat Egg White
- Watching Others Vomit
- Drink Mustard Water to Puke
- Expose Yourself To Unpleasant Smell or Sights
- Using a Toothbrush
- Baking Soda Solution
- Spin Around
- Think About Vomiting
1. Using your finger: Stick Your Index Finger Down Your Throat
The most common and traditionally implemented method to vomit is by using fingers. In this method, you have to insert your fingers into the mouth and then push them to the throat. This reflex protects your airway and prevents foreign objects from being inhaled. When you stick your finger down your throat, you trigger this gag reflex, causing you to vomit.
- Try curling your finger so the tip points towards the back of your throat. This will help stimulate the area more effectively.
- Use rhythmic motions when pushing your finger down.
- Start slowly and then increase the speed as you get closer to making yourself vomit.
Note: Remember to wash your hands with soap thoroughly before doing this step.
2. Use Your Tongue Cleaner
When you touch the back of your tongue with the cleaners, it triggers the pharyngeal reflex, which causes you to vomit. Make sure to run the cleaner 3 to 4 times from the root of the tongue to the front. You can also try using your finger to trigger this reflex. This method is sure to make you throw up!
3. Drink Warm Salt Water
You heard it right! It is possible to drink warm salt water to vomit and throw up. When performed correctly, drinking warm salt water will cause nausea and vomiting within minutes. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids afterward to replace those lost through vomiting.
- Add one or two teaspoons of salt to a warm glass of water.
- Consume it within a gulp
- Now you wait
This step will take at least 25 to 30 minutes to induce vomit, and you can also use your finger to get results quickly.
4. Eat a white egg
Eggs are readily available in the market, and this is one of the easiest steps to throw up that you can do immediately. Generally, people hate the smell of egg, which tastes unpleasant if eaten raw. This act will stimulate your gag reflex and cause you to vomit.
However, it’s important to know that this method does not carry any risk and causes no harm unless you have an egg allergy!
5. Watch videos of others vomiting
Watching videos of others vomiting or straight-up watching someone can make you vomit. People vomit after watching others vomit because it triggers their own memories and sensations of vomiting.
This is a fairly common phenomenon known as emetophobia or the fear of vomiting. It’s thought to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors and can be quite debilitating for those who suffer from it.
However, if you watch some disgusting videos of someone vomiting on a loop, you’re sure to feel a vomiting sensation, and you can get ready to run to your sink.
6. Drink mustard water to puke
Mustard can make you sick and cause vomiting since it contains natural emetic chemicals. Take a spoonful of mustard seeds, add it to a glass of warm water, and drink it quickly. Now, wait for the fireworks!
7. Expose Yourself To Unpleasant Smell or Sights
If watching others vomit doesn’t help you with your fear, try walking into an environment full of dust and garbage.
The smell and scene of that particular environment trigger your brain, making you respond to it by causing nausea. If this doesn’t work, put your finger into your mouth and start gagging by pushing it back to the throat.
8. Use a Toothbrush
If you aren’t willing or able to insert your finger down your throat, using a toothbrush is the next best way to induce vomiting. It is less similar to the index finger method. Brushing your teeth at the back of your tongue can activate your gag reflex and help you vomit.
9. Baking soda solution
Baking soda is a common ingredient found in many homes. But you may not know that this everyday staple of your kitchen pantry is that it can be used as an effective vomit-inducing ingredient. However, there are risks involved when following these methods – too many doses might cause severe complications like dehydration.
All you need to do is mix one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and take a drink!
10. Spin around
Spinning in circles is a lot of fun, but it’s important to be careful. As children, we would spin around and get sick immediately after because our bodies weren’t used to this type of movement. If nothing else works, try dizzy-rounding till you break free from your boredom vibe.
11. Think About Vomiting
When you want to make yourself throw up, one of the best ways is by thinking about it and visualizing what will trigger this action in your mind. You can picture an unpleasant smell or sight that makes throwing up easy.
What Should You Do After Vomiting?
Here is what you should do after you throw up or puke heavily:
- Rinse out your mouth with water. This will help eliminate the bilious taste in your mouth and remove any residue that could lead to nausea later on.
- Drink a small amount of clear liquid. Sip slowly at first to make sure that your stomach can handle it. Once you feel better, you can have anything from sports drinks to juices; just make sure it’s nothing too sugary or acidic.
- Avoid dairy, caffeine, and alcohol for a little while, as they can upset your stomach further. Spicy or greasy foods should also be avoided as they’re likely to cause indigestion.
- Take a rest until you feel better. If your stomach is still queasy, lie down on your left side to help ease the pain.
What are the Pros and cons of making yourself throw up?
- It is a protective reflex that helps the body get rid of toxins and viruses that can affect the digestive system.
- Throwing up helps the body to relax and feel light.
- It helps to remove food that can end up making you feel nauseous.
- It helps to control weight in case of overeating.
Inducing vomit can lead to some side effects; these include –
- Feeling dehydrated
- Chemical burns/Throat burn
- Acidity and low immunity.
Will Vomiting cause any health issues? All you need to Know
Although you have learned the tips on making yourself throw up, vomiting releases all the harmful elements from your body. Many times vomiting causes many undesirable effects on the body.
The American Association of Poison Control Centre also recommends vomiting only after the advice of a doctor, and it may not be effective in removing the poisons. Vomiting causes contraction of the stomach, due to which poison is quickly absorbed in our intestines which causes further damage to our body.
The ingestion of the substances such as shampoos and bleaches is very harmful, and a doctor or a physician must be immediately called to avoid vomiting. Shampoos and detergents cause inflammation and swelling. The doctor often advises pregnant women not to vomit as it causes damage to the mother and the child. It causes dehydration and deprives the baby of essential nutrients, which causes damage to both mother and child.
If you cannot resist the urge to vomit regularly, you should consult a doctor. People think that self-induced vomiting can relieve depression, loneliness, anxiety, etc., but it does not.
It only provides temporary physical relief but causes long-term health damage.
One should go for a regular medical checkup to keep one’s health in tip-top shape. If one is suffering from tooth decay caused by self-induced (regular) vomiting, one should consult a dentist to address the problem. There are antidepressants for those suffering from depression, constant anxiety, loneliness, etc. One can also simultaneously consult a psychiatrist to treat mental illnesses and eating disorders.
There is also a self-help group called Overeaters Anonymous (OA) to help those who can’t stop themselves from overeating regularly. People who repeatedly vomit by self-inducing can weaken the abdomen muscle and develop gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Subsequently, the person can also develop swelling in the cheeks and salivary glands. This is a highly vicious cycle that can have physical consequences.
What Do Doctors Think About Methods on How to Make Yourself Throw Up? According to the latest Internet Research and Online Reviews
Vomiting is definitely not a pleasant experience but sometimes, it is essential when you feel sick from consuming bad food or overeating. It is okay to vomit during emergencies but should not be a regular practice. Doctors suggest that vomiting after consuming certain poisons can have serious complications. Make sure that you visit the doctor if the situation is severe.
What Do People Think About The Methods on How to Make Yourself Throw Up? According to the latest Internet Research and Online Reviews.
The Bottom Line
So there you have the answer for how to vomit on the spot or how to make yourself throw up easily. What worked for you? Let us know in the comments below. And as always, consult with a doctor before attempting any of these methods if you are pregnant, have an eating disorder, or have another health condition that could be worsened by vomiting.
Should you self-induce vomiting?
Although it may seem like a good idea, do not vomit unless your doctor tells you to. Vomiting has many risks, such as dehydration and damage to your throat, teeth, or gums.
What will happen if one vomits eight times a day?
This is a critical condition. If you vomit 8 times a day, there are high chances of death. So, visit the doctor immediately!
What are the side effects of forced vomiting?
Here are some of the side effects of force vomiting:
- Tears in the lining of your esophagus
- Damage to kidneys
- Changes in your skin appearance
- Red patches on the eye and more
Does vomiting burn calories?
According to research, vomiting will not eliminate all the calories you eat, even if done immediately after a meal. A vomit can only expel about half of the ingested calories – this means that, on average, between half to two-thirds of what is eaten is absorbed by your body.
Do salt and water make you vomit?
Yes, drinking warm salt water on an empty stomach can make you nauseated and cause you to vomit. See the section above for more details on how to correctly drink salt water to induce vomiting.
Is yellow vomit bad?
Yellow or green vomit may indicate that you are throwing up a fluid called bile.
Can stress cause you to vomit?
Stress can increase the heartbeats, which can make you feel nauseous and make you throw up.
What are the signs of throwing up?
Gagging, choking, retching, and stomach reflexes can signify that you might throw up anytime soon.
How should you sleep after throwing up?
Make sure you’re not lying flat in bed by raising your head. If it’s possible, sleep with your face approximately 12 inches over your feet if it’s pleasant for you. This can prevent acid or meal from entering your esophagus. Avoid citrus and drink a small amount of a somewhat sweet beverage, such as fruit juice.
How to make a dog vomit during an emergency?
You can induce vomiting by giving it a teaspoon of 3% food-grade hydrogen peroxide per 10lb body weight.
How to vomit to clean my stomach?
To soak up obvious vomit and/or feces, use a biodegradable absorbent pad (paper towels, baking soda, or throwaway cloth). Using paper plates or boards, scoop up vomit and/or feces. Use a plastic garbage bag to dispose of dirty goods, rubbish, and gloves.