It might sound shocking, but some people force themselves to vomit! Why?! Let’s have a look at the main reasons below.
- People who are diet conscious but on some occasions eat quite a lot, force themselves to vomit or throw out all the excess food in their stomach. This way, they can avoid growing fat and vomiting also giving them temporary physical and mental relief.
- People suffering from loneliness, depression, anxiety, etc eat quite a lot to ‘fill the void’ at times and they do feel good after eating lots but this relief is temporary. Stomach aches or the fear of growing fat make them vomit forcibly.
The health hazards of self-induced vomiting:
Forcing yourself to throw up has quite a few health hazards. They are:
- Electrolyte deficiency: When we vomit, the potassium in our food or stomach also goes out with it. This sudden reduction in potassium levels in our body can cause extreme fatigue and irregular pulse rate (either too high or too low). Sometimes, low potassium levels in the body can also cause cardiac arrest. Fatigue and abnormal pulse rate can not only occur to people who do self-induced vomiting but also to people who rarely vomit. It can cause a cardiac arrest in them too. To reduce fatigue, dehydration, abnormal pulse rate and chances of a cardiac arrest, drink some fruit juice shortly after vomiting. It will restore the electrolytes and potassium levels in your body and you will feel alright.
- Tooth weakening or decay: Stomach acid is quite a strong acid. When it comes in contact with teeth while vomiting, it can cause the enamel of your teeth (made of Calcium Carbonate) to weaken (dissolve) and decay. For those who have their teeth already decayed, it can cause the teeth to fall off immediately. Most people make the mistake of brushing immediately after vomiting. This only worsens tooth damage and sometimes can cause a few teeth to fall off. The best thing to do after vomiting is to rinse thoroughly with water, drink a glass of water and if possible some fruit juice and wait at least a couple of hours if you decide to brush.
- Developing Oesophagus cancer: Oesophagus is a muscular tube that connects mouth to our stomach. When we vomit, our strong stomach acids come in contact with our Oesophagus. It results in destroying of Oesophagus muscles and causes permanent damage to the Oesophagus. Regular or self-induced vomiting can also cause Oesophagus cancer in the long run. Vomiting (self-induced or regular) can also cause heartburns. You can also take an antacid shortly after vomiting. This reduces the damage to your Oesophagus and prevents heartburns.
- Swelling of the parotid gland: The parotid glands produce saliva required for digestion in our mouths. They can be found beside both our jaws. While vomiting, sometimes, they come in contact with our strong stomach acids and swell. This swelling of the parotid glands can interfere with the regular functioning of our teeth and cause pain in the mouth.
- Sore throat and hoarse voice: When our stomach acids come in contact with our voice box or pharynx, it can cause a sore throat and make our voices sound hoarse. This, of course, is a minor side effect of self-induced vomiting and wears off with time.
- Involuntary vomiting: A muscle called gastroesophageal sphincter helps us control when we want to vomit. This muscle becomes loosened by regular vomiting (self-induced vomiting) and sometimes we might even vomit when we burp!
Tips that will help you throw up instantly
1. USE YOUR FINGERS
The most common and traditionally implemented method to vomit is by using fingers. In this method, you just have to insert your fingers into the mouth and then push it to the throat. When you start to feel gagging then immediately remove your finger from the mouth and then easily your body will get rid of harmful things. Some useful tips when using fingers:
- Wash your fingers before inserting them into your mouth.
- Try kneeling down and throwing up as it doesn’t stress upon your abdominal area.
- Once you feel nausea, immediately remove your fingers and try again.
- Wash your hands once you are done with vomiting.
- Most importantly, cut your nails to avoid scratching your throat.
Though this method is disgusting to a few but is the most successful method to vomit. If not happened in a single time then you have to repeat the steps.
2. WATCHING OTHERS VOMIT
This might turn into a comedic scene when watching others vomiting, but not a pleasant one, I suppose. The sound and smell of vomiting send you a signal, and the body immediately responds to it, making you vomit.
If we see someone else vomiting a sensation of vomit is felt, and many times we also throw up. And with gadgets around us, we can watch video clips of people vomiting. So that you don’t have to wait for people around you to throw up.
3. OVEREATING IS A PROBLEM
It has been found that overeating is the core reason that causes vomiting. Overeating causes overextending of the stomach and thus body forces that extra food to come out of our body and thus triggers vomiting.
But here we have to keep in mind that while eating we don’t have to consume junk foods otherwise we will suffer from indigestion and stomach ache. That is why we recommend you to have healthy foods such as green vegetables, and fruits.
4. EXPOSE YOURSELF TO UNPLEASANT SMELL OR SIGHTS
If watching others vomit doesn’t help, walk into an environment where there are dust and a pile of rotting garbage.
The smell and the scene of that particular environment trigger your brain, making you respond to it by causing nausea which further causes vomiting. If this doesn’t work then put the finger into your mouth and start gagging by pushing it back to the throat.
Researchers say that it takes only a sheer whiff of an offending odor to make someone vomit. And if you are sensitive enough, these unpleasant smells and sights might trigger you instantly.
5. USING A TOOTHBRUSH
You can use a toothbrush just like your fingers for throwing up. But it is often found that using fingers to vomit is disgusting to some, and then, in that case, the use of the toothbrush is the best way.
In this case, you have to wet the bristles of your toothbrush and then rub it on the back of your tongue until you start to feel gagging. If this method does not help you at the first time, then try repeating it. You might want to use the toothbrush again, but I recommend you to replace it with a new one.
Tip: Do not put the toothbrush deep and brush harshly, you might end up poking yourself.
6. DRINKING WARM SALTWATER
Consuming saltwater can eliminate poisonous substances from the body through vomiting. Using warm salt water is one of the oldest methods that help when looking to throw up.
Here are some simple steps to consider while sipping in saltwater:
- Take a glass of water and warm it. Do not overheat the water as you have to drink it in one go.
- Add four tablespoons of salt to the water and stir it until it gets entirely dissolved.
- Now, drink the entire glass of water in one go.
- After you finish drinking the saltwater, drink at least 4 to 5 glasses of plain water.
Once you are done with these steps, you will feel a vomiting sensation as the excessive sodium chloride present in our stomach triggers vomiting. This is perhaps one of the excellent homemade emetics that requires about 20-30 minutes to work.
7. MUSTARD SOLUTION
The mustard solution comes with a taste that causes discomfort to your taste organs and makes you throw up faster. Mustard can prove to be the best method, but it does not work on some people, depending on their taste.
Make most of the Mustard Solution with the following steps:
- Firstly, you need a glass of warm water and some mustard powder or paste.
- Add a tablespoon of mustard paste to the glass of warm water.
- Keep stirring until the mixture is entirely dissolved.
- Drink the mixture and allow it to settle in for about half an hour.
- The taste and the smell of mustard solution are very unpleasant which triggers vomiting.
8. GARGLE WITH EGGS
Many people can’t bear the taste of egg and thus can be used as one of the best ways to trigger vomiting.
One should cut the egg whites of 2-3 raw eggs in a cup and then gargle with it until you start to feel gagging. If it doesn’t work for the first time, then repeat the steps.
9. DRINK COCA-COLA
To help you throw up this soft drink might do the needful. Coca-Cola is pretty much the most satisfying method, and the fizz in it is useful in gastronomical problems. You have to drink it simultaneously with water, and thereby giving you a discomfort feeling in your stomach and allowing you to throw up.
10. THINK ABOUT VOMITING
One of the best ways to make yourself throw up is to think about vomiting. You can think of the unpleasant smell or the sights which will trigger vomiting. Think of the medicines which are awful for you, visualize the picture of someone else vomiting. This is possibly the easiest of jobs when you want to induce vomiting
WHY IS VOMITING A BAD SIGN?
Although vomiting releases all the harmful elements from our body. Many times vomiting causes many undesirable effects on a body. The American Association of Poison Control Centre also recommends vomiting only after the advice of a doctor a physician.
It may not be effective in removing the poisons. Vomiting causes contraction of the stomach due to which poison is quickly absorbed in our intestines which cause further damages to our body.
The ingestion of the substances such as shampoos, bleaches, are very harmful, and a doctor or a physician must be immediately called and avoid vomiting. Shampoos and detergents cause inflammation and swelling.
Pregnant women are often advised by the doctor not to vomit as it not only causes damage to the mother but also the child. It causes dehydration and deprives the baby of the essential nutrients which cause damage to both mother and child.
If you cannot resist the urge to vomit regularly you should consult a doctor. People think that self-induced vomiting can relieve them of depression, loneliness, anxiety, etc but it does not. It only provides temporary physical relief but causes long term health damage.
One should go for a regular medical checkup to keep one’s health in tip-top shape. If one is suffering from tooth decay, caused by self-induced (regular) vomiting, he or she should consult a dentist to address the problem. There are antidepressants for those suffering from depression, constant anxiety, loneliness, etc. One can also simultaneously consult a psychiatrist to treat mental illnesses and eating disorders. There is also a self-help group called Overeaters Anonymous (OA) to help those people who can’t stop themselves from overeating on a regular basis.
WHAT TO DO AFTER VOMITING?
It is necessary and important as well to recover from the side effects of vomiting. Here are a few things that you should take note of once you are done vomiting.
1. RINSING YOUR MOUTH
Immediately after vomiting, rinse your mouth with plain water to remove all the stomach acids from your mouth to avoid the corrosion of the tooth enamel. Gargle with mouthwash to get rid of the smell. You can also try rinsing vodka, which is a great alternative.
After vomiting, tooth enamel becomes soft, and therefore it is always advised to not to brush the teeth immediately after vomiting.
2. DRINK WATER
Vomiting causes dehydration and to rehydrate your body, plenty of water is required. Therefore immediately after vomiting, you must drink water. You can also go with lemon water. Drink water slowly and in less quantity as drinking plenty of water might make you feel nauseous again.
3. HERBAL TEAS
Herbal teas are excellent for digestion and protecting the digestive tract. Research says that ginger tea is excellent for nausea.
Vomiting removes the water and the essential nutrients from the body thus making us feel fatigued and restless. Therefore proper rest must be taken to allow your body to heal.
5. CRANBERRY JUICE
Drink some cranberry juice to avoid the awful taste coming from your mouth. Also, you can sip on some Gatorade to re-hydrate yourself.
The Bottom Line
Though self-induced vomiting may help to keep one in shape and may provide some temporary physical and mental relief, it is harmful to one’s health in the long run. It damages various muscles and teeth and can even cause Oesophagus cancer. So one should avoid or cure it at all costs. If one is diet conscious, he or she can eat Metabolic Foods to reduce fat and weight.
Fasting can sometimes aggravate overeating and thereby self-induced vomiting. So one should not go in that direction to lose fat and weight. There are a plethora of healthy ways to keep one in shape other than fasting and self-induced vomiting. So choose your path wisely.
1. What will happen if one vomits eight times a day?
This is very serious, and one must be immediately taken to a doctor or a physician. However, the simple steps can be followed before going to a doctor. The person must be immediately given ORS solution to maintain the level of water in the body.
2. What are the risks of vomiting blood if one vomits five times a day?
There is a high chance of vomiting blood if one is vomiting five times a day. If you vomit with a large force the inner lining at the junction of esophagus and stomach is forced upwards through the small hole it passes through your diaphragm thus causing you to vomit blood.
3. What is the cause for vomiting frequently?
The timing of vomiting can indicate what the real cause of its frequency is. When throwing up right after a meal, vomiting might be due to food poisoning. Puking one to eight hours after a meal also indicates food poisoning.
4. What is the best treatment for Bulimia Nervosa?
Patients affected by Bulimia Nervosa need to eat Antidepressant pills as per the doctor’s advice. They need to have regular sessions with a reputed psychiatrist until they are cured of the disorder. They also need to do self-monitoring and controlling of their irrational thoughts, emotions, and actions while their psychiatric treatment is going on. Patients in the US, who had undergone such treatments were cured of the disorder in just three months!