Spray tan has made some headlines since it is the safest option to look toned and tropical. 😉😉😉😉Applying spray tan overnight to have a chiseled face in the morning has been a trend on the internet.
However, removing spray tan can be tricky at times. We have done an exclusive study to learn how to get rid of these spray tan marks. Be it your face or your legs, by using these methods, you can get rid of those tan marks.
Table of Contents
- Does Spray Tan Actually Come Off or Not?
- What Do the Experts Suggest? Working Methods
- Precautions to Take Before Removing Spray Tan
- Natural Remedies to Remove Spray Tan From Your Body
- How Quickly Does Spray Tan Go Off
- What Doctors Say About Removing Spray Tan
- Will Spray Tan Come Back After Some Time?
- What If It Doesn’t Go Off? What To Do In This Situation
- What Do Other People Do to Remove Spray Tan Over the Internet?
- Post-Spray Tan Skin Care(For Hands & Feet)
Here’s our take on how to remove spray tan off your hands and feet.
Does Spray Tan Actually Come Off or Not?
According to a blogger, the spray tan can last up to a week but the longevity depends upon various factors including skin type or bathing regime. Spray tan causes a temporary stain on the skin and is not permanent at all.
According to a global tanning expert, Alexandra DiMarchi, tanning can last long to 5-10 days depending on various factors affecting it.
What Do the Experts Suggest? Working Methods
After indulging in a deep conversation with various tan spray and skin finishing experts, we are here to unveil some of the working methods by which you can get rid of the tan spray.
- An Instagram beauty specialist, she suggests a time-consuming process of tan removal is sweating it out by hitting the gym or kickboxing for lingering tan.
- Michaella Bolder who is a health and beauty expert suggests keeping your skin hydrated and using tan remover products which contain urea, bicarbonate soda, and cotton extract.
- Jules Von Hep is the founder of Isle of Paradise and he states “Simply mix a spoonful of sugar into your body wash, and each time you wash, a light layer of tan will be washed away, resulting in a slow, gradual, but even fade.”
Precautions to Take Before Removing Spray Tan
A YouTuber Sunless Rae who is a professional tan spray expert shares some of the precautions that you need to take care of.
Here are some of the tips that you should prioritize.
- Exfoliate gently- Exfoliation plays a great role. As we know the skin cells shed after 2 days, so spray tanning without exfoliation would be a failure.
- Moisturizing- Moisturizing thoroughly in advance (24 hrs prior to spray tanning) would make the skin soft and subtle.
- Remove any jewelry- Always take off your jewelry before self-tanning. If you spray tan with your jewelry on, the spray tan will tan your jewelry instead of your skin. 😜
- Remove body hair- Always remember to remove any body hair before spray tanning. Body hair would make it difficult for the tan to reach your skin and tan you.
- Keep the skin dry- Make sure that your skin is devoid of any wetness of any kind. Avoid any kind of lotion on the body, remove it if you have any.
Natural Remedies to Remove Spray Tan From Your Body
Applying spray tan for that snatched look might be a fun and quick way to elevate your look but it might be a daunting task to remove it.
Using chemicals to remove spray tan can damage your skin in the long run. One should avoid using chemical de-tanners. Here are a few ways to remove your spray tan using natural and DIY remedies.
A famous YouTuber who is a self-tanning expert has shared some of the natural remedies to remove spray tan safely from your body.
- Go in a jacuzzi- Yes you heard that right. The chlorine and hot water will help you break down all the spray tan that you have applied to your skin.
- Baby oil and baking soda– Mix baby oil and baking soda in equal ratios and apply to your skin. This would help you get rid of the spray tan marks.
- Hair removal cream- (Note it may cause irritation if you have sensitive skin) Applying hair removal cream is one such weird but effective way to get rid of spray tan.
- Steam- It is noted that the steam opens the pores of the skin and this loses up the spray tan that has tanned your body. This is one cost-effective and easy way that is accessible to anyone.
- Swimming pool- The chemicals present in the swimming pool water can break down the spray tan from your body.
- Cider vinegar- Cider vinegar is an ingredient that is found in almost all households. It can be mixed with water and applied on the effective area. This will get rid of the tan marks.
- Lemon juice- Mix equal parts of lemon juice and baking soda and apply it to the skin. This would get rid of the stubborn tan marks.
- Toothpaste- Applying toothpaste directly to the affected area can help you get rid of those stubborn tan marks. However, it is advisable to do a patch test first.
- Exfoliation- Exfoliation would help you get rid of the tanned skin cells. This would reveal the fresh cell which would be tan-free.
- Olive oil and sugar scrub- Sugar is an excellent scrub for your skin. Olive oil is popular for its hydrating properties. Mixing the two would make a hydrating skin scrub that would help you get rid of the tan spray marks.
- Soaking in warm water- Soaking your skin in warm water would open the pores of your skin thus helping your skin release the color it picked up from the tan spray.
- Hydrogen peroxide bath- Hydrogen peroxide are popular stain remover or bleaching agent. Thus, they can be used to remove the spray tan marks. However, it can have some effects on the skin. So, it is advisable to do a patch test first.
How Quickly Does Spray Tan Go Off
Spray tanning can be tricky for some, thus it is good to refer to a tanning expert before you cause a blunder and end up looking like a baked potato. Spray tan usually and typically lasts 5-7 days on average.
However, there are various factors that determine the longevity of the spray tan.
- Skin type- Everybody has a different and unique skin type. Some have dry skin, some normal, and some oily. Skin type is the primary determining factor about how long the spray tan is going to last.
- The spray tan- After skin type, comes the second most important factor. The type of and brand of spray tan that you are using also determines the factor on how long is the tan going to last.
- Preparation of the skin- A skin tanning expert and YouTuber Vacay Beauty shares the tips that can help you with skin prep before you self-tan yourself.
What Doctors Say About Removing Spray Tan
Doctors have varying opinions regarding spray tanning. A spray tan can be a good way to reduce the chances of UV radiation cancer of the skin. Here are some of the major outcomes of the heated debate on removing spray tan.
- Usage of gentle ways- Scrubbing your skin too much or using too much of pressure or chemicals can damage your skin. It can cause irritation to your skin.
- Say yes to the patch test- Always remember to do a patch test before. Skipping this step can be dangerous. Our skin might be sensitive to some of the ingredients. Thus, it is always recommended to do a patch test first.
- Hydration and Moisturizing the skin- Always keep the skin hydrated to avoid any kind of skin dryness or irritation.
- Seek medical advice- If you feel a burning sensation in your skin or any kind of irritation to your skin, always seek medical advice. This would save your skin from temporary or permanent damage.
Will Spray Tan Come Back After Some Time?
A spray tan is usually a temporary way to tan your skin. It usually fades in 5-7 days. Spray tan marks can not come back. To understand this concept better, let’s see how it works.
- Application- The application of tan spray bronzes your skin cells temporarily. It colors your skin which is prone to shed off after it dies.
- Skin shedding- The skin cells have a life span of 2 days. After 2 days, these cells shed. This shedding causes the lightning of the tan effect.
- Fading- As the skin starts shedding, the tan starts fading and this lightens the tan marks on your skin.
What If It Doesn’t Go Off? What To Do In This Situation
The tan marks usually go away within a week however, they can sometimes stay a little longer. You need to be a little patient when it comes to spray tans. It takes time for the time to appear as well as the tan to fade.
However, here are a few essential steps that you can take to lighten the tan effect.
- Professional tan removal- When the DIYs fail, you can go to a professional tan removal, They with their expertise can easily help you get rid of the tan marks.
- Avoid sun exposure- Exposing yourself to the sun can make these marks even more visible. So, it is advisable to always avoid getting out in the sun when you are trying to get rid of tan spray.
- Self-tan- To even out the abrupt tan marks, apply tan spray everywhere. This would even out your skin tone.
- Have patience- The tan marks can not go in a night. You need to be patient with the tan marks and let the time fade naturally.
What Do Other People Do to Remove Spray Tan Over the Internet?
Vogue has shared some of the ways by which people can get out of the “horribly gone wrong” self-tan spray sessions. In an interview with a pro tanner, who uses their go-to product to get rid of horrible tanning.
In another interview with a professional tanner, they revealed that taking a long hot shower after getting a steaming session can be the best way to remove tan marks which are ugly to look at.
Instead of rubbing and scrubbing off the skin with a loofah, one should stick to traditional methods to get rid of stubborn tan marks.
Post-Spray Tan Skin Care(For Hands & Feet)
Post-spray tan skin care is crucial as it determines the duration for which the spray tan will remain on your skin. Here are some tips:
- Be patient- After tanning, wait for 6-7 hours before touching it so that it can tan your skin nicely and evenly.
- Clothing- Remember to wear loose clothes so that it does not rub your body too much and end up messing up the tan.
- Keep yourself dry- By this we mean, you should stay sweat-free. Avoid hitting the gym for that specific day and let the tan spray settle nicely on your skin.
- Avoid scrubbing- The freshly tanned skin cells can get exfoliated if you scrub it too harshly.
- Avoid being in a swimming pool or jacuzzi- Avoiding these both would protect your tanning from harmful chemicals like chlorine. Thus, keeping the tan intact.
- Avoid alcoholic rubs- Overusing sanitizers can mess up your tanning process.
To remove spray tan naturally, try gentle exfoliation, lemon juice, or baking soda scrubs. Soaking in hydrogen peroxide or taking warm baths can help. Patience and moisturization are key, and consult professionals if necessary. Avoid sun exposure for better results.
However, any skin irritation or problems should be dealt with by consulting with a dermatologist.
- Can I spray tan at home?
Yes, you can use cans and tan yourself at home.
- Can bleaching the skin help get rid of tanning?
Yes. Bleaching the skin can help you get rid of tan marks.
- Is sun tanning and home tanning different?
Yes, sun tanning and spray tans are very different.
- Can spray tan harm the skin?
No, spray tans can not harm the skin. However, one should always go through the composition of tan spray.
- Can spray tans avoid sunburn?
Yes. Spray tans can avoid sunburn.
- Is the spray tan permanent tanning of the skin?
No spray tans are just a temporary way to tan your skin.
- Can the spray tan stain be removed from clothes?
The answer depends on the composition of the tan spray. Soaking the cloth in warm water can help get rid of the spray mark.