Phone cloning is not a cumbersome task like it used to be anymore. Smartphones have become profoundly integrated with our everyday lives.
It is hard for most of us to imagine even a single day without using our smartphones as they contain vital information and makes our tasks more manageable and efficient. With mobile technology advancing at breakneck speed, more smartphones are getting outdated as you read.
This makes it all the more necessary to find a way to transfer all your crucial information from your old phone to the new one when finally you’ve decided to upgrade your phone or replace your lost phone.
Before we jump into the cloning process, let’s understand what exactly phone cloning is.
WHAT IS PHONE CLONING?
In simple terms, transferring the identity and data from one cell phone to another is known as Phone cloning.
You can choose to transfer only the key identifiers or backup the entire data from your phone.
During the initial phase of the mobile phone revolution, cell phones were only a small improvement over the radio and cloning was done merely by intercepting the radio signals. Nowadays, modern phones utilize a SIM card, which makes it harder to clone a phone without plugging into it.
WHY CLONE A PHONE?
Cloning or copying the identifier data from one phone to another is frowned upon due to technical and legal issues. If you phone clone someone else’s device without their permission, it may lead to serious legal repercussions.
Some people still clone identifying data from their phones to preserve the features of their phone. However, this act is contradictory to the terms of service of the End User License Agreement(EULA), and you may void your manufacturer’s warranty.
However, you may transfer or duplicate any data you have put into your phone like photos or videos and data of software or applications, as these are excluded from the legal issues.
THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU CLONE YOUR PHONE
Android and iOS smartphones are preloaded with backup tools such as iCloud and Android’s system backup. You can always use a different service to backup vital data like photos or business documents to make sure they are not lost.
You can ensure a seamless transition by uploading this backup data whenever you switch to a new device. However, you may need to request your carrier for providing a new SIM card.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO CLONE A PHONE?
For cloning a phone, you need the following:
- Your current smartphone
- The new smartphone into which you want to clone
- A PC or Mac
HOW TO CLONE A PHONE?
CLONE FROM ANDROID TO ANDROID
Bored of using the same old android device? Did you buy a new one? Well for android users cloning isn’t that hard when compared to the method of transferring in iPhone. I will be listing you the apps I used while cloning my android phone to another android device.
CLONING WITH CLONEIT
Do you hate the hassle of wires connecting your old phone and your new phone to your PC? With CLONEit, you can clone wirelessly, all you need is your old and new smartphone connected via this app and follow these simple steps:
- Download “CLONEit” from the Play Store by clicking on the link given below.
- Open the app on both the android devices, Tap on the ‘Sender’ option from your old phone and then tap ‘Receiver’ on your new phone.
- The Receiver will automatically start searching for Sender device. You will have to connect to the Sender’s device via WiFi hotspot and verify the connection.
- Once the Receiver’s name is visible on the Sender’s phone, You have to tap on the Receiver’s device name. The Sender has to tap on ‘OK’ button to send a connection request.
- After getting connected, the Sender has to select the files and folders. If you do not want to pick all the files, You can also Select files individually.
- Once you are done with the selection of files, you can now start the transferring by tapping on Start, to begin the cloning process.
CLONEit is a free app, which connects two users through WiFi hotspots. It also features auto install which lets you install apps automatically with just one tap. It secures your privacy by not uploading your data to the cloud.
Once you transfer the messages from your old device to the new one, CLONEit can be your default messaging app, but you can change it anytime you want.
From personal experience, I would recommend that you skip contact transfers as I had the issue of duplicate contacts on my new phone.
CLONING WITH GOOGLE DRIVE
Did you know that you can use Google Drive to clone your android phone? Neither did I.
Google Drive uses your Google account to save your data in the cloud and can also be used to backup and restore all kinds of data. You should initially grant Google Drive permission to access and collect your data on the cloud automatically.
Here are the steps you need to consider while using Google Drive:
- Go to Settings->Backup & Reset on your old Android phone. Tap “On” on the ‘backup my data’ option.
- Verify the account on which you are about to backup your data. Turn on ‘Automatic Restore.’
- Turn on your new device after completing the backup from your old phone.
- After switching to your new device, log in with the account you used for backup of your data.
- After signing in the new device, it will automatically take a backup of your files. Just select the recent file backup.
- You now have the option to choose files that you wish to transfer, by selecting these apps. You just have to tap on ‘Restore’ to successfully clone your device.
- Although Google Drive uses a lot of space on your device, it still is a better option to consider if you are not around your old phone (in case of theft).
CLONING FROM ANDROID TO IPHONE
Well, get ready for a massive change in your life regarding technology.
Changing a phone in the early 2000s was easy as they were not many phones considering the options we have today. The significant difference involves what suits you the best?
If you are a newbie to the iPhonef world, I would suggest you follow these simple steps with the help of some apps available.
CLONING WITH “MOVE TO IOS.”
Move to iOS is a free app available in the Play store.
- Switch on your new iPhone and then follow the instructions as and how they appear on the screen.
- In the Apps & Data section, there will be an option called ‘Move data from Android’ tap on this option. Then it will ask you to download the ‘Move to the iOS’ app on your Android device.
- After installing the app on your android phone; it will ask you to enter a code.
- Now get back to the iPhone which will display a verification code.
- Now manually enter the code on the Android device, now both the devices are connected to the same network.
- A screen appears which asks you to choose the things you want to send to your iPhone.
- After selecting the items, you wish to save, tap ‘Next’ to start the process of transferring.
- After the transfer is complete, you will be asked to log in to your Gmail account. Now after the login, check the folders to see your data transfer successfully.
CLONING WITH SHAREIT
Shareit is by far the easiest and the most common way of transferring files.
- Install Shareit on both the Android and iPhone devices
- Allow Shareit to access folders on both devices
- Open the app on an android phone, then tap on ‘Send’
- Select the files you want to send,
- After selecting the files, Tap again on ‘Send’ to start transferring the files
- Tap on the Receiver’s Avatar when you find your iPhone
- Then you are all ready to move your files
CLONING VIA PC (MUSIC & VIDEO)
If you are on a slow network on your phone, try connecting your phone with your PC. Cloning using PC is faster when compared to other options.
- Connect your android phone to your PC. Copy your media files to the computer.
- Install iTunes on your PC, Run it and get your iPhone connected to your PC with the help of a USB cable.
- Click File->Add Folder to Library in the iTunes Window. Paste the files you want on your iPhone.
- Select iPhone under devices to find your phone.
- By clicking on the ‘Music’ tab, you are now able to access the playlist.
- Choose what music you want on your iPhone and then click on ‘Apply’ to save it on your iPhone.
- For videos, click on Movies or TV shows, select the files and click on ‘Apply’.
- Now watch your favorite shows, movies, and videos on the go.
CLONING FROM IPHONE TO ANDROID
If this is the first time you are using an Android and have just moved from iPhone to Android; worry not!
I will be guiding you so that this process becomes a lot easier.
CLONE WITH SYNCIOS DATA TRANSFER TOOL
This software is available to download on the internet for free. These steps will help you transfer your data quickly.
- Install Syncios Data Transfer Tool on your PC
- Connect both Android and iPhone devices to your PC
- A window opens, showing both the devices connected. On the left, will be your iPhone, and on the right, you will have your new Android phone, and in the middle, there are the folders you want to transfer.
- Click on the folders you wish to transfer. It lets you move all the files from Contacts, call logs, app and all kind of media files.
- After selecting the files, you just need to click on the ‘Start Copy’ option.
- A new dialog box appears showing you the Progress bar with the file’s name that is getting transferred.
- DO not to remove both the phones while transferring the files.
TRANSFERRING CONTACTS TO ANDROID PHONE:
- In the search box type icloud.com, log in with your iCloud account
- The contact folder appears. Click on ‘All contacts’, click on the icon located at the bottom left of the page.
- A small popup message appears, Select ‘Export as Vcard’, choose a location to save the file.
- Now download the file ending with .vcf, and transfer it to your android phone.
- Now on your android phone, open ‘Contacts’ and then tap on the ‘Menu’ button.
- Select Import/Export, tap on Import from storage.
- Now choose the downloaded file iCloud(.vf)
Voila, All your contacts have now been copied to your Android device.
CLONING IPHONE TO IPHONE
Now I will be guiding you through some of the steps to transfer files from your old iPhone to a new iPhone. All you need to do is follow these easy steps to get going with your new iPhone.
- Connect your old iPhone to the internet (Better to use WiFi)
- Tap on the Settings icon on the Home screen.
- Head on to iCloud and then tap on backup.
- Now boot your new iPhone, choose ‘Restore’ from iCloud backup at the System Assistant place
- Log in with your iCloud account and select backup of your Old Phone, Click ‘Restore’ to get the files on your new iPhone.
- After the restoring process is complete, your iPhone will now restart.
- Connect your new iPhone to iTunes to get the data from your media files.
Also Read, EaseUS DATA RECOVERY WIZARD – REVIEW
Phone cloning technology has become essential to most people for a smooth transition when moving to another device. Now, you can move all the data or only those selected by you to your new phone without the fear of losing data.
However, you’ll need to be careful to ensure your data is not misused by others. Always keep your phone in your sight and protect it with a pin/password. Give these methods a try the next time you move to a new device and let us know your experience in the comments.
- Is Mobile Data needed to clone files/Apps?
You can transfer files through WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth or USB cable via PC. All these methods are assured to not use mobile data for transferring files and apps.
- How can I specify the file destination where the transferred files are stored?
There are two options to where you can store your files. The first is internal storage or phone memory storage. The second is SD card or external storage, which is applicable only when you have an SD card in your device. These options can be accessed by going into ‘Settings’, selecting the ‘Storage location’ button and then choosing the location.